Monday, April 19, 2010

Denver Post Article

Suzanne Brown, the lifestyle editor of the Denver Post came to talk to me at the Mod Livin Fashion Show, and my first thought was "Ooooh, I wonder if she'll post pictures of the show in the paper?" Turns out, she did. I have been in the Denver Post about 4 times now, but every time is still so exciting. We chatted a bit about the line, the show, what I had planned next, and me trying out for Project Runway. Here is the article that was in the paper the Thursday after the show, along with the pictures that accompanied the article.


Sixties Redux

Denver designer Melissa May loves shopping for vintage finds at thrift stores, so it wasn't a stretch for her to devise 10 outfits in a "Mad Men" theme for a Create Denver week show.

A crowd of over a hundred people showed up at Mod Livin' Sunday evening to enjoy appetizers and sangria while perusing the midcentury furniture and accessories.

When it was time for the fashion show, 10 models walked to the front of the store and assembled in a tableau of a circa-1960s office, complete with a Selectric typewriter, funky phones and a gooseneck lamp. Looking like they could have been plucked from the steno pool on AMC's popular drama "Mad Men," models paraded in wearing such looks as a black-and-white gingham check dress, a slinky satin sheath for the Joan Holloway office manager character, and a full-skirted floral sundress for the Betty Draper role. Some models shed vintage coats before getting out their pencils and pads to "answer" the phone. Sporting French twists and red lipstick applied by sytlists at Rebelle, the models gave off a chic 1960s vibe.

"I would totally wear some of the looks right now — if they fit me," said the designer. "I wanted them to be true to the period, but still reflect my style."

-Suzanne S. Brown





No comments:

Post a Comment